Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ode to Joy - Homeschool style!

Oh. Poo. I had this FABULOUS blog post all done. Pressed "Publish" and up it popped - but some of the text was formatted strangely, so I went back to edit and "poof!". Gone. All gone. Poo. Can I remember my fabulous words (and pictures and links)? Let's give it a shot...(and press "Save" a lot, just to be sure):

There seems to be a lot of goodliness in the homeschooling air lately. And it's not just me! Helena at Loving to Learn is loving having their days to own, and to fill with joy and learning. Sounds nice, huh? And over at Our Journey 'Round the Mulberry Bush they have been so happy with the changes in their lives and the real, retained learning that is happening there. And my friend who emailed me to say "What a joy to just be able to continue on, and not be haltered by any artificial limitation and that he is enjoying some learning". What a joy indeed:

Reading and puzzles

Chooks

Making mudpies

Minecraft buddies

Types of clouds (this one's a cirrus)

Rebuilding a PC (with a Dad's help)

Grammar and a blanket

Inserting a wireless card (with a brother's help)

Setting up a Minecraft server

Turning old school writing (check out all the red pen and scribble)

into new, interesting research on Corroboree Frogs (and smiling about it!)

Asking about latitude, longitude and the International Date Line

and a brother would like to know too

Google Maps, atlases, drawing maps, and Google Earth

Some acid-base chemistry

More Minecraft with friends (via Skype)

And also Vi Hart on Pi and Shakespeare (in iambic pentameter):


And Light Fantastic - Light, the Universe and Everything:


And Two on the Great Divide:



Oh yes, much joy! And deep, meaningful, relevant and useful learning. In a safe and respectful environment. Not everyone gets to say that. But we do - just about every day. How good is that?! And just about all of the above came from them - not me telling them what to do, but from questions or want-to-learn-abouts or just living.

Yep. Home's a pretty great place to be!

5 comments:

  1. I so love this post! Once you "get it", it really is such an amazing process to see and live :).

    You guys are brave creating a server, I will admit it overwhelms me a bit. Such good happenings.

    (Oh and I have lost completed posts before too. Ugg!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will also admit I have no idea about the server thingy - they did their own research, talked to "in the know" friends and did it! All by themselves! A bit proud and a bit afraid they are next going to hack into something...

      Delete
  2. Ingi
    I'm sure you;d know I love seeing pics of kids rebuilding computers:) Thanks for this post, very reaffirming. Just today I was trying to find my balance between a need for solid foundational basics and encouraging freedom in learning (think I've hit on the solution) So lovely to read of your productive, gentle days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not Erin, is it, trying to find that balance! I'm still trying and when I put all the other good stuff together in my blog is it re-affirming for me too, when I'm stressed that they aren't doing enough "school".

      Delete
    2. I meant "not easy Erin" :-)

      Delete

Bloggers LOVE comments! We are pretty needy that way, so go on, leave some love :-)

Embroidery Project - Blue Butterfly

I downloaded this pattern as a PDF from Hoop Embroidery Co on Esty as my first attempt at the technique known as "thread painting"...