Saturday, April 21, 2012

Variation on a Theme...

It's school holidays here. But Hubby and Video Boy have been sick (with a cold that refuses to leave the premises) and then the rain has set in, so it's been a bit blah. There has been much YouTube watching and Minecraft playing.

But Wombat Girl has also been playing and practising her keyboard. She ebbs and flows with it a little. Right now is a flow time (well, that sounds a bit odd, but you know what I mean). Spare moments in the day have been taken up with learning new music and practising older pieces. Our local homeschooling friends have acquired a baby grand piano, and it was so lovely to go visit and have the opportunity of playing on it!


A little while ago, I printed out Carter Burwell's Bella's Lullaby from Twilight (from Music Notes). It was something I thought I might be able to figure out, but it's way beyond my limited capabilities. But Wombat Girl discovered it and has been very persistent working it out and trying to coordinate chords and melody (I have video of her playing the grand piano, but it wouldn't upload....so this is her this morning)



She it getting there! I'll post another video when she has it perfected.

Meanwhile, I've been having fun trolling iTunes for lots of lovely new music and making playlists on my iPod (and errrr, getting frowns from Hubby for spending money...oh well). But I thought I'd share some of my favourites pieces of piano music:

Scott Joplin, who most will recognise as the composer of the Entertainer (in The Sting and for Aussies, Paul Hogan) wrote so much more! Solace (A Mexican Seranade), and is my all-time absolute favourite from him.  It is hauntingly beautiful...



A long time ago now, I watched Man From Snowy River - a movie adaptation of the famous Banjo Patterson poem, starring a very young, very handsome Tom Burlinson....oh, sorry, where was I? (BTW, Tom Burlinson also sings and his voice bears a strong resemblance to Frank Sinatra - and he is currently on tour!):



Anyhoo, Bruce Rowland wrote the score for the movie and it included the very beautiful Jessica's Theme (Breaking in the Colt) where they fall in luurrvve....and is a beautiful piece many budding pianists attempt:



One of my absolute favourite pieces of music of all time is "January Stars" by George Winston. I first came across it watching ice-dancers Torvill and Dean in 1984 (yes, I am old). It took me many years before I found out who composed it and then got myself a copy on CD (Winter Into Spring - gorgeous stuff - and now I even own it on vinyl, despite not having a turntable...sad, I know!) - see how difficult life was without the internet? The choreography is so beautiful and effortless and the music is haunting:


Another favourite of mine going back to the 80's is the mini-series Anne of Green Gables. Oh! How I loved Anne! And Gilbert...but I digress again. I also loved the soundtrack (composed by Hagood Hardy) and managed to track down a copy...


And finally I have shared with you the music of Kelsey James before ( "Whistle If You Need Me" - scroll down to the Learn video at the bottom), but in keeping with my last blog post theme of travel and learning, here is Move, with Kelsey's "Play On" (and any time they need someone to go film those videos, I'm available!!)





I am in awe of the beautiful music able to be created from just 88 keys (and 12 notes). Wombat Girl is only just starting on her musical journey, but I know music will be part of her life (and mine) forever.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this one. There are so many pieces I love too, loved Snowy River, and the Scott Joplin pieces are great.

    Thought I'd share a beautiful piece from Benny Andersson called Novell #1 from his November 1989 album. Let me know what you think...

    http://www.monomusic.se/cd-benny-andersson-november-1989.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers LOVE comments! We are pretty needy that way, so go on, leave some love :-)

Embroidery Project - Blue Butterfly

I downloaded this pattern as a PDF from Hoop Embroidery Co on Esty as my first attempt at the technique known as "thread painting"...